Feed on
Posts
Comments

The Church Hill Tunnel in Richmond, VA, was an old Chesapeake and Ohio Railway (C&O) tunnel underneath the Church Hill section of Richmond. Built in the 1870s, the tunnel fell into disuse in for approximately 20 years starting in 1901 due to riverfront viaduct. The tunnel collapsed in 1925 on a work train reportedly killing at least four and trapping Steam Locotomotive engine #231, in attempts to restore the tunnel to usable conditions.

 

Rescue efforts resulted in further collapse, and the tunnel was ultimately sealed for safety reasons. The western entrance to the Church Hill tunnel is located in downtown Richmond at the corner of East Marshall Street and North 19th Street.

The eastern entrance much harder to find, and less documented. One is able to enter the tunnel from the eastern entrance for a stretch until reaching the sealed-up portion of the tunnel. However, the entrance is submerged about waist-deep in water. The eastern entrance is near the corner of East Franklin Street and North 31st Street.

Comments are closed.